Monday, October 12, 2009

Wuthering Heights: Love

The section of the reading that I found particularly captivating was in Chapter 9 when Catherine finally expresses how she feels for Linton and Heathcliff (63-67). In the time building up to this point, I was unsure and vexed as to how she really felt. Linton and Heathcliff represent different characters of society. For example, Linton is the wealthy, handsome prince charming that is ideal to marry in a social status eye. Whereas, Heathcliff is run-down, not as wealthy, however he is captivating to Catherine. There is talk throughout the reading where Cathering and Heathcliff seprarately describe the others as two bodies sharing one soul.

I am really interested in Catherine's reaction and response to the two different loves that she is presented. The connection between Linton and Catherine vs. Catherine and Heathcliff is extremely different. Bronte provides a thorough description and analysis of how and why they are different. For me it really started to pick-up on page 63, when Bronte writes, "It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now; so he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome. Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning or frost from fire" (63).

Where I want to begin with that quote, which will be off par from the rest of my analysis is I am confused as to why Catherine describes marrying Heathcliff as degrading? Is it because of how Linton treated him? That marrying Linton would provide a future advantage for Heathcliff to gain wealth? That was ultimately the phrase that Heathcliff overheard and left the estate. I am confused as to what Catherine specifically meant by those words, because she describes her love and connection with Heathcliff as a very intense, spiritual connection. Catherine actively acknowledges the distance in connection between her and lipton, however, she still decides to marry him instead. Her head and heart are in two different places. I am sure Heathcliff's leaving the property gave her an extra push to continue with Linton. I find it an incredibly unfortunate, gothic instance in this novel that Heathcliff leaves under false pretenses and the rest of the novel unfolds as it does.

To continue comparing Catherine's feelings for Heathcliff vs. Linton, Bronte continues with, "My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the enternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary" (64). Catherine's love for Linto is like the seasons, they come and go. Her love is not solid or consistent with Linton, it is changing and adapting. The reference to how winter changes the trees could also represent how their love is cold and barren. Her reference for the love she has for Heathcliff is much more in-depth and solid. She compares it to a rock, an eternal rock. She describes her love for Heathcliff as transcendent, deep, immovable, and everlasting.

While reading the variations of her feelings between these two men, you are left pondering the same questions as Catherine. What matters more? Status or love? Her choice is somewhat made for her when Heathcliff leaves, but the truth is prolonged for sometime, because of the previously mentioned unraveling of events. Catherine's marriage to Linton is purely characterized as materialistic, "if Heathcliff and I married, we should be beggars? whereas, if I marry Linton, I can aid Heathcliff to rise, and place him out of my brother's power" (64). Catherine's feelings for Linton are not pure and her decision to marry him still revolves around her feelings for Heathcliff. She would rather help Heathcliff improve financially and move up the social ladder then have them be together as beggars. Her mind seems to be very much focused on social views.

With that in mind, what does that say bout the dynamics in the rest of the novel? What is Bronte saying about money and social status vs. love? What background information outlines Bronte's purpose for writing this novel?

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you're teasing out some of the class issues in this novel. I wonder if when Catherine says that Heathcliff "is more myself than I am" if there isn't something being said about class here. In other words, Catherine and Heathcliff both are virtually penniless (Catherine because she is a woman, Heathcliff because he's a virtual slave), and both are dependent upon the wealth of a patriarchal figure. I know it's silly what Catherine says about Edgar helping Heathcliff out financially, but perhaps in her mind marrying Edgar is the only way both of them can have some sort of wealth and status in a society that denies that to both women and the lower class.

    ReplyDelete